Hong Kong FinTech Week 2023
Invest Hong Kong (InvestHK) today (October 18) unveiled details of Hong Kong FinTech Week 2023 (HKFW). The eighth edition of HKFW, themed “Fintech Redefined.” will take place from October 30 to November 5. This flagship event lies at the core of global fintech innovations and aims to shape the future of fintech across various dimensions of financial services and beyond.
Organised by the Financial Services and the Treasury Bureau (FSTB) and InvestHK, and co-organised by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA), the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) and the Insurance Authority (IA), HKFW is set to attract more than 30 000 attendees and garner over 5 million online views from more than 90 economies.
Over 300 distinguished speakers and 540 exhibitors are expected to join the main physical conference taking place between November 2 and 3 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
This year’s conference will bring together global leaders and world-leading fintech innovations to explore the future development of fintech through six key themes – global regulations and focuses such as sustainable and green finance; funding and venture capital as well as family office investments; exploring the realms of artificial intelligence (AI), Web3 and emerging frontiers; unveiling the latest opportunities within the dynamic Greater Bay Area; Hong Kong’s innovation journey; and business showcases.
The Acting Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury, Mr Joseph Chan, said, “Hong Kong’s fintech industry is entering a new era, where it is no longer solely about technology but also its real-life application. We are excited to witness this transformation and its impact on the financial ecosystem. The upcoming HKFW 2023, with its theme ‘Fintech Redefined.’, will serve as a remarkable platform to showcase pioneering advancements and opportunities in the industry, demonstrating how the real-life applications of fintech can improve financial inclusion, enhance customer experience and drive sustainable growth.”
Various captivating metaverse experiences will also feature at this year’s conference, presenting cutting-edge technologies under immersive and educational engagements. The experiences will also demonstrate the possibilities of the metaverse in connecting business and promoting Hong Kong culture through virtual games and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In addition, the cross-boundary Greater Bay Area Day will be resumed on October 31, presenting ample opportunities and synergies between Hong Kong and Shenzhen. A full day forum will be organised in Shenzhen, followed by a series of concurrent company tours to Mainland tech giants.
There will be dedicated spaces such as the Investor Lounge, Venture Stage, workshops and events specifically designed for investors. Additionally, InvestHK is excited to introduce the Women in Tech Lounge, a unique space with special workshops, panels, and networking events tailored to empower and connect women in the tech industry.
The Acting Director-General of Investment Promotion of InvestHK, Dr Jimmy Chiang, said, “Hong Kong FinTech Week is the ultimate gathering for anyone eager to explore the frontiers of finance and technology, and witness the deepening collaborations within our thriving ecosystem as well as exciting convergence across diverse industries. Continuously pushing the boundaries of excellence, we are thrilled to have HKFW as an anchor event of VIVA HONG KONG, a remarkable lineup of financial, tech, Web3 and cultural events from the end of October to November, bringing together industry leaders, innovators, and startups from around the world to be part of the dynamic momentum reinforcing Hong Kong’s status as Asia’s World City, financial centre and fintech hub.”
InvestHK will also host the much anticipated grand finale of the Global Scaleup Competition. The event will feature 13 finalists carefully selected by a panel of 50 international judges, including investors who collectively manage over US$54 billion in assets. This event is part of the broader Global Fast Track 2023 programme, which aims to foster connections between fintech firms, corporate clients, investors, and industry partners. This year, the program received an overwhelming response, with over 500 applications from 63 economies worldwide, setting a new record.
List of esteemed speakers at the main conference:
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government and regulators:
• The Chief Executive, Mr John Lee;
• The Financial Secretary, Mr Paul Chan;
• The Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury, Mr Christopher Hui;
• The Secretary for Innovation, Technology and Industry, Professor Sun Dong;
• The Acting Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development, Dr Bernard Chan;
• The Chief Executive of the HKMA, Mr Eddie Yue;
• The Chief Executive Officer of the SFC, Ms Julia Leung;
• The Chief Executive Officer of the IA, Mr Clement Cheung;
• The Under Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury, Mr Joseph Chan;
• The Director-General of Office for Attracting Strategic Enterprises, Mr Philip Yung; and
• The Acting Director-General of Investment Promotion of InvestHK, Dr Jimmy Chiang.
Mainland Government and regulators:
• The Director of the Guangzhou Municipal Local Financial Supervision and Administration, Mr Qiu Yitong;
• The Director of the Shenzhen Municipal Financial Regulatory Bureau, Mr He Jie; • The senior representative of the Shanghai Stock Exchange; and
• The senior representative of the Shenzhen Stock Exchange.
• The Chief Executive Officer of Citi Hong Kong & Macau, Ms Aveline San;
• The Group Chief Executive of Standard Chartered PLC, Mr Bill Winters;
• The Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Coinbase, Mr Brian Armstrong;
• The Chairman of Longling Capital, Mr Cai Wensheng;
• The Chief Executive Officer of Yuga Labs, Mr Daniel Alegre;
• The Global Head of Christie’s Ventures, Mr Devang Thakkar;
• The Chairman of Wanxiang Blockchain and HashKey Group, Dr Xiao Feng;
• Corporate Vice President of Tencent, Head of Tencent Financial Technology, Mr Forest Lin;
• The Chief Economist of Circle International Financial, Mr Gordon Liao;
• The Chief Executive Officer of J P Morgan Hong Kong and Head of Strategy Asia Pacific, Ms Harshika Patel;
• The Vice President and Chief Information Officer of WeBank, Mr Henry Ma;
• The Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder of Crypto.com, Mr Kris Marszalek;
• The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Sinovation Ventures and the President of Sinovation Ventures Artificial Intelligence Institute, Dr Lee Kai-fu;
• The Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of General Catalyst, Mr Hemant Taneja;
• Partner of Qiming Venture Partners, Mr Kuantai Yeh;
• The Chairman of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd, Mrs Laura Cha;
• Founding Partner of Hillhouse Capital, Mr Luke Li;
• The Managing Member of The Department of XYZ and the Board Director of Gemini, Mr Matthew Homer;
• The Global Partner of Fosun, the Co-Chairman of the board and the Chief Executive Officer of Fosun Capital, Mr Mike Xu;
• The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Ledger, Mr Pascal Gauthier;
• The Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer of The Sandbox, Mr Sebastien Borget;
• The Co-founder and Executive Chairman of Animoca Brands, Mr Siu Yat;
• The Chief Executive of Bank of China (Hong Kong), Mr Sun Yu;
• The Global Head of Product of Wise, Mr Surendra Chaplot;
• The Group Executive of the HSBC Group and Co-Chief Executive of HSBC AsiaPacific, Mr Surendra Rosha;
• The Co-founder of Chainlink, Mr Sergey Nazarov;
• The Chief Executive Officer of Onyx by J P Morgan and the Global Head of Financial Institution Payments, Mr Umar Farooq; and
• The Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Digital Asset, Mr Yuval Rooz.
HKFW will also include a series of fantastic events under VIVA HONG KONG featuring a diverse range of financial, tech, Web3 and cultural events throughout the city such as ApeFest Hong Kong, the Global Financial Leaders’ Investment Summit and the StartmeupHK Festival. More information of VIVA HONG KONG can be found at www.fintechweek.hk/viva–hk.
Selected keynote sessions will be live-streamed via the official HKFW app and YouTube channel, as well as several metaverses including in Mainland China.
LinkedIn: Hong Kong Fintech Week
Photo 1: The Acting Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury, Mr Joseph Chan, speaks at the Hong Kong FinTech Week 2023 press conference today (October 18).
Photo 2: Invest Hong Kong (InvestHK) today (October 18) announced details of Hong Kong FinTech Week 2023. Photo shows (from left)
the Associate Director of the Policy and Development Division of the Insurance Authority, Mr Tony Chan;
the Chief Fintech Officer, Fintech Facilitation Office of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, Mr George Chou; the Acting Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury, Mr Joseph Chan; the Acting Director-General of Investment Promotion of InvestHK, Dr Jimmy Chiang; the Director of Licensing and Head of Fintech Unit, Intermediaries, of the Securities and Futures Commission, Ms Elizabeth Wong; and the Senior Vice President, Innovation & Data Lab of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited, Mr Andrew Loh, at today’s announcement event.
Photo 3: Invest Hong Kong (InvestHK) today (October 18) announced details of Hong
Kong FinTech Week 2023. Photo shows (front row, from left)
the Associate Director of the Policy and Development Division of the Insurance Authority, Mr Tony Chan;
the Chief Fintech Officer, Fintech Facilitation Office of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, Mr George Chou; the Acting Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury, Mr Joseph Chan; the Acting Director-General of Investment Promotion of InvestHK, Dr Jimmy Chiang; the Director of Licensing and Head of Fintech unit, Intermediaries of the Securities and Futures Commission, Ms Elizabeth Wong; and the Senior Vice President, Innovation & Data Lab of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited, Mr Andrew Loh.
Also present are (back row, from left) the Co-founder and CEO of WHub, Ms Karena Belin;
the Digital Asset and FinTech Strategy Lead of Standard Chartered Hong Kong, Mr Dominic Maffei;
the Chief Digital Officer, HSBC Hong Kong, Mr Bojan Obradovic;
the Chief Digital Officer, Personal Banking & Wealth Management of the Bank of China
(Hong Kong), Mr Daniel Li;
the Head of Core Cash Management, Treasury and Trade Solutions of Citi Hong Kong, Mr Saurabh Mundhra; and the Head of Digital Assets Portfolio of Animoca Brands, Mr Josh Du, at today’s announcement event.
About Hong Kong FinTech Week
Hong Kong FinTech Week 2023, organised by the FSTB and InvestHK, and co-organised by the HKMA, the SFC and the IA, is Asia’s global financial technology event for scaling new heights. It is expected to host over 300 speakers, 540 sponsors and exhibitors, welcoming over 30,000 attendees and attracting over 5 million views from over 90 economies to the event. The week-long event will feature multitrack conferences with prominent speakers, exhibitions, a deal floor, workshops, networking and satellite events, demo sessions and metaverse experiences.
InvestHK is the department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government responsible for attracting foreign direct investment. It has set up a dedicated fintech team in Hong Kong to attract the world’s top innovative fintech enterprises, start-up entrepreneurs, investors, and other stakeholders to set up and scale their business via Hong Kong into Mainland China, Asia, and beyond. For more information, please visit www.hongkong–fintech.hk.
+852 3756 8615
+852 2837 4758
Image source: Shutterstock